Monday 19 October 2015

Snickers Brownie Pie

What's better than chocolate brownies, snickers bars, and pies? Snickers Brownie Pie!


This Snickers Brownie Pie makes a great dessert. It's really simple to prepare and a great make ahead dessert to serve to guests. The hardest part is making sure you don't eat all the snickers before they go into the brownie mixture!



It's already time again for this months Secret Recipe Club post. This month I was assigned to Living The Gourmet, a fantastically delicious blog run by a great family team, Catherine, Tammy, and Michael. This is a family who value the kitchen, food and the memories it creates, and the time it allows families and friends to spend together.


Their blog is jam packed full of amazing recipes - both sweet and savory. I was struggling to decide what to make. Chicken Cordon Bleu, Black Forest Cake.... Until I saw the Snickers  Brownie Pie. I was instantly wooed by this one. 


The recipe called for a box of dark chocolate fudge brownie mix. However, I made my own brownie from scratch as boxed baking mixes are not a big thing here in New Zealand so are a whole lot more expensive than baking from scratch. If you'd like to use the boxed brownie mix, check out the original recipe here


Snickers Brownie Pie


Serves 12-14

Crust:

2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup shortening (or an extra 1/2 cup butter)
3-4 tablespoons ice water
Brownie:

200 g chocolate, broken into pieces
200 g butter
1 Cup white sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup plain flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Snickers candies, chopped

Whipped Cream and Grated Chocolate for garnish
For the Crust:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, icing sugar and salt. Add chilled butter and shortening. Using a pastry blender, blend the fat into the flour until a crumbly mixture forms. Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until a soft, pliable dough forms. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180C (350 degrees F).
3. On a well floured surface, the roll dough out to fit a 9 in” springform pie dish. Fit the dough into the dish and trim the excess dough. Pierce the bottom of the dough with a fork. If you do not have pie weights, you can either line the top of the dough with aluminum foil and place an oven proof bowl on top of it, or chill it an additional 30 minutes to keep the dough from shrinking in the oven.

4. Blind bake your crust for 12 minutes. Remove and let to cool slightly before filling.
For the Brownie:
5. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large bowl. Whisk in the sugar and eggs, then sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Pour into a brownie pan lined with baking paper or greased. Fold in the chopped Snickers.

6. Pour the batter into the prepared pie shell and bake for 30 minutes until cooked (still at 180C). Leave in the pan to cool completely. 
7. Before serving, top with whipped cream and additional chopped Snickers bars. Serve and enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Love how easy this is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pie looks so chocolaty and rich, I bet it taste amazing. I got a chuckle out of your "eating all the snickers before the pie could be made" comment. I have that same problem at me house! lol My husband loves sweets, and if I were going to make this recipe, which I plan on, I would have to make it as soon as I bought the snickers, or there wouldn't be any for the pie.

    Happy reveal day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I would be afraid to have this in the house for fear I would never stop eating it. This is definitely a take to a gathering recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nicole, What are you doing to me???? It's only 9 am and I want to bust out the chocolate and make this and keep it all to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks decadent! I could totally eat this for breakfast!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pie looks so delicious. I always love brownies but the idea of having that with a pie crust, wonderful!. Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks like a fabulous pie! my mom loves snickers so maybe i'll have to make it for her one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole you pie looks so amazingly good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sold, this looks amazing and your pie crust is gorgeous. This is definitely on my 'must make' list. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One word....YUM!!! Great SRC recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are tempting me big time with this scrumptious pie Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would eat way too much of this! Visiting from SRC C!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I like to make brownies and cakes from scratch too. One time I put a box mix in the cart because I just didn't feel like making it and my daughter looked at me and said "no, we are not buying that.." and she went and put it back. Visiting from Group C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Nicole, your brownie pie turned out beautiful! Oh my this was a good one, if I may say so myself and I am so happy you gave it a go! I love that you made the brownie base from scratch. I wish I could try it. Thank you for your kind words...so happy you enjoyed this decadent treat. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow. this is absolutely beautiful! what a wonderful SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You said the magic word: Snickers. Those were the only thing my husband put in his suitcase when we went to the hospital to have our first baby! I'm serious. He will LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one seriously amazing pie, Nicole! It looks incredibly delicious - irresistible in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY!!!!! Snickers & brownie... Im in heaven with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun! And I could make this with Halloween candy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum!! What a great recipe to make for SRC.

    ReplyDelete