Thursday 12 March 2015

Chicken and Shrimp Laksa

This Curry Laksa is a beautiful, coconut-based spicy soup that's both warming and fresh - making it a perfect year-round meal. 



Laksa dishes like this one here and commonly found in South East Asian cuisine, particularly Malaysian. In my version, I have used ingredients that are easy to source in your local supermarket to create a taste of Malaysia at home. 


This is one of those recipes that you may look at the ingredients list and have a mini heart attack - it's long. Don't let that fool you. This dish is quick and easy to prepare, and if you commonly cook Asian cuisine, you're likely to have most of the ingredients on hand. 


I love Laksa especially for it's noodles. Who doesn't love a noodle soup? But what makes Laksa even better than your average noodle soup? TWO kinds of noodles!!! This dish commonly uses both an egg and rice noodle, which to me means extra deliciousness. 

Chicken and Shrimp Laksa


Serves 4

Curry Paste:

2 red chilis, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
5 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
3 large shallots, or an onion, diced
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp chopped coriander
2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp fish sauce*
2 Tbsp canola oil

Curry:

100 g egg noodles
100 g vermicelli
2 1/2 Cups chicken stock
1 stalk lemon grass (I use 1 Tbsp of lemon grass paste)
400 g chicken thighs, cut into cubes
400 mL light coconut milk
100 g shrimp
lime juice

Garnish:

bean sprouts, fresh coriander

1. Cook the noodles following the directions on the packet and set aside.

2. Make the paste by combining all the paste ingredients in a mortar and pestle (or food processor) and crushing into a paste-like consistency.

3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the curry paste and fry for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.

4. Add the chicken stock, lemon grass,, chicken, and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for a further 5 minutes.

5. Add a squeeze of lime juice and adjust the taste to suit your preference.

6. Divide the noodle among four bowls and ladle the laksa over the noodles. Garnish with bean sprouts and coriander before serving.


*Traditional recipe would use about 1/2 tsp shrimp oil paste, I can't get this here so I use fish sauce as a substitute. Same with the lemongrass - I can't get stalks easily, but paste is always right there ready to go.

6 comments:

  1. I have never tried laksa, but being a huge curry fan I'm sure I'll be a big fan. This is a lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also never tried laksa, but your soup sure looks delicious! I love that you shared the recipe for your homemade curry paste...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is even have as delicious as its beauty I would have to declare this culinary heaven. Love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of soup <3 Looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete