Thursday 17 July 2014

Baked Bean French Toast Sandwiches

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Can you think of a better way to kick start your day than with French Toast stuffed with baked beans, cheese, and bacon?


This baked bean French toast is not only delicious but is made with very little fuss and time, making this recipe perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch.

These easy breakfast sandwiches have been featured on TODAY.com for National Sandwich Day 2014. Check out their post for this and 8 other outrageous sandwiches here.

Baked Bean French Toast


Serves 4

8 Slices bread (I used ciabatta)
3 eggs
1/2 Cup milk
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
420 g (14 oz) tin of baked beans
4 slices of cheese (I used Edam)
100 g (3.5 oz) Diced ham or bacon

1. Beat the eggs together with the milk and nutmeg.

2. Heat the baked beans slightly in a saucepan or the microwave until just warm. Spread some of the baked beans over 4 of the slices of bread, top with a slice of cheese, diced ham, and finish with the other slices of bread.

3.  Melt a knob of butter in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, ensuring both sides are well coated.

4. Place the sandwiches into the fry pan and fry for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden in color and the filling is hot.

6 comments:

  1. love the idea of a savoury french toast.. i can never go past a good french toast recipe! love that you used baked beans also.. definitely craving this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is like the ultimate grilled cheese! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of putting beans into a french toast sandwich before. Sounds interesting. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As whacky as this sounds Nicole, I'll bet it's good and maybe even more so with bacon as you suggest. (I'm not really big on ham :( )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I never would have thought of putting these things together but I bet it does taste great especially with some bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first learned that my father liked baked bean sandwiches, I thought he was crazy. Then, I ate one and now I'm just as crazy. This new addition might bring the ole man back from the grave. It is a great addition to our gastronomic adventure.

    ReplyDelete