Short Crust PastryMakes 1 pie/tart
2 Cups plain flour
180 g butter, cubed and chilled
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
2 - 3 Tbsp chilled water
1. Place the flour, butter, and salt in a food processor. Process in short bursts until the mixture resembles a fine crumb.
2. With the mixer running, add the egg yolk and chilled water and mix until the mixture forms a solid dough.
3. Tip out onto a floured surface and shape into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for 60 minutes.
4. Roll pastry out on a floured surface, or between two sheets of baking paper, until about 3 mm thick. Press into the base and sides of a pie or tart dish. Prick the bottom a few times with a fork. Chill for about 30 minutes.
5. Blind bake at 180°C for 15 minutes. Remove baking paper and beads and bake for another 10 minutes.
6. Cool slightly before filling.