Making your own pasta is really worth the little bit of extra effort. It tastes so lovely and almost melts in your mouth. It doesn't matter if you don't have a pasta machine, just use a rolling pin and roll the dough as thin as you can get it.
Traditionally, you would make pasta by making a heap of flour on a bench, making a well in the centre for the eggs, and the gradually pushing flour into the eggy centre. This takes a long time and can be hard to keep the eggs from running off along the bench. Just chuck everything in a food processor and I promise it will turn out just as good!
2 Cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1. Sift the flour and salt. Add to a food processor and with the motor running add the eggs and oil, continue to process until it forms a dough.
2. Tip out onto a floured surface and knead a few times. Wrap in cling film and set aside to rest for about 30 minutes.
3. Separate the mixture into 4 and roll out each piece and either pass through a pasta machine until thin or roll with a rolling pin until nice and thin.
4. If making fettuccine, roll the pasta sheets up and slice into long strips. If making filled pasta, cut out the desired shapes.
5. Cook in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for about 4 minutes.