Serves 8 - 10
6 Egg whites, room temperature, not too fresh works well for beating
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cup caster sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
1/2 Cup cream, whipped
Mixed berries/fruits (I used strawberry, raspberry, and kiwi)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
2. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff. While the beater is still running, slowly add the sugar. Continue to beat at a high speed for about ten minutes, until the mixture is very thick and stiff and does not fall off the beaters when removed from the mixture.
3. Fold in the vinegar and cornflour.
4. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tray with a large spoon, forming a big circle. Don't flatten out the top, just leave it as a dome so that if it does collapse it will be less likely to form a big crater.
5. Bake at 180°C for 5 minutes, reduce heat to 130°C and continue to bake for 60 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool (leave it in the oven for another hour or so).
6. Before serving, spread over the whipped cream and decorate with berries.